Monday 7 November 2022

Evil

I wrote this in response to Colin Wright's post: Understanding ‘Evil’

Colin bemoans the theistic application of good versus evil; but admits in the end that some ideas are so bad as to be 'evil'. We can't get rid of the word 'good', because there's no suitable alternative. 'Evil' is something else. In addition to the its theistic use; there's the problem of binary thinking and how the duality of good/evil force us into that mindset; which is, actually, a trap for both sides! This then leads to a kind of fanaticism; which even liberals and middle to the road political types can suffer from. So: there's more than one rationale to be against the word 'evil'.

But: 1. Can we rid ourselves of the word 'evil'?

I guess we can, but we just end up using synonyms which have the same effect. Synonyms such as fascist, climate denier, flat earther, communist, Tory 'scum', TERF, racist, Trumpist. The particular dehumanization used depends on one's politics. So we can rid ourselves of evil; but not really. The left own more of these synonyms than the right.

If not, then: 2. When should we use the word 'evil' in politics?

I can call something 'evil' when I disagree so fundamentally with a policy or idea that no negotiation is possible. I can never concede that a person has a real homunculus inside their head telling them that their authentic gender is not their biological sex. I've seen where that idea leads. It leads to doctors associations (such as the U.S. AAP) mandating ONLY one line of treatment for gender dysphoria; demonising therapy and counselling as 'conversion therapy', and lobbying to change U.S. federal law to mandate 'affirmation' as the ONLY allowed response to transgender ideas; leading to hormone blockers, hormones and surgery. I am not negotiating with them. They are wrong. Their idea is evil.

Nor can I negotiate with climate alarmists, not anyone who promotes the idea of the greenhouse gas effect. As shown elsewhere, the greenhouse gas effect is wrong. It leads to harmful, anti-human polices such as net zero. It's already cost the world at least $2 trillion. It is an evil idea. Those promoting it will not debate it. They explicitly refuse to debate; much like transgender fanatics. I think we have a clue as to what evil is here.

I won't negotiate with them. They won't negotiate with me. Surely I'm just their mirror; lost in binary thinking? No. I will debate them. They won't debate me. Even when I'm with the strongest side I will always debate; because I'm a democrat, anti-elitist, and I believe I know how to debate without throwing stones.

Conclusion: we should not call people evil. Their deeds and ideas may be evil but they, themselves, are potentially redeemable. If that's the residual Christian speaking in me then so be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There's no Greenhouse Effect

If an atmospheric greenhouse effect existed for CO₂, it will be possible to measure the ‘back-radiation’. It will show up in both the ther...